Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations
(a) the name of the company giving the notice of defect;
(b) the prescribed class of each vehicle for which the notice of defect is given, the make, model, model year and vehicle identification number of the vehicle, the period during which it was manufactured and any other information necessary to permit its identification;
(c) the estimated percentage of the vehicles that potentially contain the defect;
(d) a description of the defect;
(e) an evaluation of the risk to the safety of persons that arises from the defect; and
(f) a statement of the measures to be taken to correct the defect.
(2) The notice of defect shall be given in writing and, when it is to be given to a person other than the Minister, shall be
(3) For the purposes of subsection 10(1) of the Act, the person who obtained the vehicle from the company is a prescribed person.
(4) The notice of defect shall be given to the current owner and to the person who obtained the vehicle from the company as soon as possible after the company becomes aware of the defect, but no later than 60 days after the day on which the company becomes aware of it.
(5) A company shall, within 60 days after the day on which it gives a notice of defect to the Minister under paragraph 10(1)(a) of the Act, submit to the Minister a report containing, in addition to the information required by subsection (1), the following information:
(a) the number of vehicles for which the notice of defect was given and the number of those vehicles in each prescribed class;
(b) a chronology of the principal events that led to the determination of the existence of the defect;
(c) copies of all notices, bulletins and other circulars issued by the company in respect of the defect; and
(d) a detailed description of the nature of the defect and of its location, with any related diagrams or illustrations.
(6) After submitting the report referred to in subsection (5), a company shall, for a period of two years after the day on which it gives the notice of defect to the Minister, submit to the Minister quarterly reports containing the following information:
(a) the number, title or other identification assigned by the company to the notice of defect;
(b) the revised number of vehicles for which the notice of defect was given, if applicable;
(c) the dates on which notices of defect were given to the current owners of the affected vehicles; and
(d) the total number or percentage of vehicles that had the defect corrected, including vehicles that required only an inspection.
- SOR/95-147, s. 2;
- SOR/98-524, s. 3;
- SOR/2008-104, s. 3;
- SOR/2009-318, s. 3;
- SOR/2013-117, s. 3;
- SOR/2015-111, s. 1.
- Date modified: