Letter Mail Regulations
3 (1) The rates set out in subitem 1(1) of the schedule apply to an item of letter mail that meets the applicable requirements for standard mail.
(2) [Repealed, SOR/2004-294, s. 1]
(3) The rates set out in item 2 of the schedule apply to an item of letter mail other than an item referred to in subsections (1) and (8).
(4) Increases to the domestic basic letter rate, if any, shall go into effect the second Monday after January 3 of each year.
(4.1) The Canada Post Corporation shall publish a notice in the Canada Gazette of any increase to the domestic basic letter rate no later than July 1 in the year before the increase goes into effect.
(5) The increase referred to in subsection (4) shall be the result determined in accordance with the following formula rounded down to the nearest whole cent:
(A × B) + C
- is the domestic basic letter rate then in effect;
- is the reduced consumer price index factor; and
- is any fractional rate increase in the calculation of the previous increase to the domestic basic letter rate that has not been applied as a result of rounding down to the nearest whole cent.
(6) For the purpose of calculating the rate increase after January 1st, 1999, the value of C is $0.236.
(7) Despite subsections (1) to (6), for the period beginning on January 12, 2009 and ending on January 10, 2010, the domestic basic letter rate shall be 54 cents.
(8) The rate set out in item 3 of the schedule applies to an item of letter mail other than an item referred to in subsections (1) and (3).
- SOR/88-613, s. 2
- SOR/90-801, s. 4
- SOR/91-625, s. 2
- SOR/2000-221, s. 2
- SOR/2001-178, s. 1
- SOR/2001-443, s. 1
- SOR/2003-382, s. 21(F)
- SOR/2004-294, s. 1
- SOR/2009-5, s. 1
- SOR/2009-141, s. 1
- Date modified: