Repeals, Consequential Amendments and Transitional (continued)
Marginal note:Limitation period
59 (1) Where any matter referred to in subsection 54(2), 55(2) or 57(2) is not disposed of by the members of the former authority within whose jurisdiction the matter lies within one year after the commencement day or where, on the expiration of one year after the commencement day, any proceedings in a matter commenced by the members of the Canadian Import Tribunal pursuant to their jurisdiction under section 58 are pending before those members, the proceedings with respect to the matter shall be taken up and continued by the Tribunal on such terms and conditions as the Chairperson may specify for the protection and preservation of the rights and interests of the parties or, where the Chairperson determines that any such proceedings should not be so taken up and continued, those proceedings shall be terminated.
Marginal note:Supervision by Chairperson
(2) The Chairperson has supervision over and direction of the work of the members of a former authority having jurisdiction under subsection 54(2), 55(2), 57(2) or 58(1).
(3) Each member of a former authority having jurisdiction under subsection 54(2), 55(2), 57(2) or 58(1), other than a person appointed to the Tribunal, shall be paid such remuneration for services under this Act as is fixed by the Governor in Council.
(4) Each member of a former authority having jurisdiction under subsection 54(2), 55(2), 57(2) or 58(1) is entitled to be paid reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member while absent from the member’s ordinary place of residence in the course of performing duties under this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. 47 (4th Supp.), s. 59
- 1999, c. 12, s. 61(E)
Marginal note:Other proceedings
60 All matters pending before the Tariff Board or the Canadian Import Tribunal on the day immediately preceding the commencement day and for which the members thereof do not have jurisdiction under subsection 54(2), 55(2) or 57(2) shall be taken up and continued by the Tribunal under and in conformity with this Act.
Marginal note:Continuation of certain rules
61 All rules made by the Canadian Import Tribunal under section 70 of the Special Import Measures Act, as it read on the day immediately preceding the commencement day, shall be deemed to have been made under section 39 of this Act and shall, to the extent that they are not inconsistent with this Act, continue in force until they are revoked or amended under section 39.
Marginal note:Continuation of previous orders, etc.
62 Every decision, order, finding, declaration, ruling or other instrument issued, rendered or made under any Act of Parliament by a former authority and that is in force on the day immediately preceding the commencement day shall, to the extent that it is not inconsistent with this or any other Act of Parliament, continue in force and have the same force and effect as if it were issued, rendered or made by the Tribunal.
Coming into Force
Marginal note:Coming into force
(2) Sections 16 to 37 and 41 to 62 shall come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
Return to footnote *[Note: Sections 1 to 15 and 38 to 40 in force September 15, 1988, see SI/88-139; sections 16 to 37 and 41 to 62 in force December 31, 1988, see SI/89-3.]
- Date modified: