Electoral Boundaries Readjustment Act
Marginal note:Sittings of commission; hearing of representations
19 (1) A commission may, in the performance of its duties under this Act, sit at such times and places in the province for which it is established as it deems necessary, except that before completing its report it shall hold at least one sitting in that province for the hearing of representations by interested persons.
(1.1) For greater certainty, any member of Parliament may make representations at any sittings held by a commission for the hearing of representations from interested persons.
Marginal note:Notice to be given by public advertisement
(2) Notice of the time and place fixed by the commission for any sittings to be held by it for the hearing of representations from interested persons shall be given by advertisement published in the Canada Gazette and in at least one newspaper of general circulation in the province at least sixty days before the commencement of the sittings.
Marginal note:Advertisement to include certain information
(3) There shall be included in the advertisement referred to in subsection (2) a map or drawing prepared by the commission showing the proposed division of the province into electoral districts and indicating the population and name proposed to be given to each district and
(a) in the case of the advertisement published in the Canada Gazette, a schedule shall be included setting out a description of the proposed boundaries of each electoral district in the province, indicating the population and name proposed to be given to each such district; and
(b) in the case of the advertisement published in the newspaper, a notice shall be included indicating that a copy of the schedule referred to in paragraph (a) may be obtained, free of charge, on request by any person, from the commission at the address set out in the advertisement or from the Chief Electoral Officer at the address set out in the advertisement.
Marginal note:Form and content of map or drawing
(4) Any map or drawing included in an advertisement pursuant to subsection (3) shall be in such form and contain such detail as, in the opinion of the commission, will be reasonably sufficient for the purpose for which the sittings referred to in the advertisement are to be held.
Marginal note:Notice of representation to be given before sittings
(5) No representation shall be heard by a commission at any sittings held by it for the hearing of representations from interested persons unless notice in writing is given to the secretary of the commission within fifty-three days after the date of the publication of the last advertisement under subsection (2), stating the name and address of the person by whom the representation is sought to be made and indicating concisely the nature of the representation and of the interest of the person.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-3, s. 19
- R.S., 1985, c. 6 (2nd Supp.), s. 3, c. 1 (4th Supp.), s. 45(F)
- Date modified: