Marginal note:Appointment of Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
19 (1) The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of a museum shall be appointed by the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, to hold office during pleasure for a term not exceeding four years.
Marginal note:Appointment of other trustees
(2) The trustees of a museum, other than the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson, shall be appointed by the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, to hold office during pleasure for such term, not exceeding three years, as will ensure, as far as possible, the expiration in any one year of the terms of office of not more than four of those trustees.
Marginal note:Continuation in office
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2), if a trustee is not appointed to take office on the expiration of the term of an incumbent trustee, the incumbent trustee continues in office until a successor is appointed.
(4) A trustee is eligible to be reappointed to the Board in the same or another capacity, except that
(a) no person may be appointed as Chairperson, and no person may be appointed as Vice-Chairperson, for more than two consecutive terms; and
(b) a trustee, other than the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson, who has served three consecutive terms in that capacity is not, during the year following the expiration of the third term, eligible to be reappointed in that capacity.
Marginal note:Absence or vacancy: Chairperson
(5) If the Chairperson is absent or unable to act or if the office of the Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson has all the powers, and may exercise and perform all the duties and functions, of the Chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence or vacancy: Vice-Chairperson
(6) If the Vice-Chairperson is absent or unable to act or if the office of the Vice-Chairperson is vacant, the Minister may designate another trustee to act as Vice-Chairperson for the time being, but no person so designated shall act in that office for a period exceeding ninety days without the approval of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Vacancy: other trustees
(7) Where the office of a trustee, other than the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson, becomes vacant during the term of the person appointed thereto, the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may appoint a person to that office for the remainder of that term.
- Date modified: