Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Version of section 305 from 2011-10-06 to 2014-02-05:

Marginal note:Fee — $75

  •  (1) A fee of $75 is payable for processing an application under subsection 181(1).

  • Marginal note:Exception

    (2) The following persons are not required to pay the fee referred to in subsection (1):

    • (a) a person who makes an application for a work permit or a study permit at the same time as they make the application referred to in subsection (1);

    • (b) a person who has made a claim for refugee protection that has not yet been determined by the Refugee Protection Division;

    • (c) a person on whom refugee protection has been conferred;

    • (d) a person who is a member of the Convention refugees abroad class or a humanitarian-protected persons abroad class;

    • (e) a properly accredited diplomat, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member, the members of the suite of such a person and the family members of such a person;

    • (f) a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, including a person who has been designated as a civilian component of that visiting force under paragraph 4(c) of that Act, and their family members;

    • (g) a person who is a member of the clergy, a member of a religious order or a lay person who is to assist a congregation or a group in the achievement of its spiritual goals, if the duties to be performed by the person are to consist mainly of preaching doctrine, presiding at liturgical functions or spiritual counselling, and their family members;

    • (h) an officer of a foreign government sent, under an exchange agreement between Canada and one or more countries, to take up duties with a federal or provincial agency; and

    • (i) a family member of any of the following persons, namely,

      • (i) a person who holds a study permit and is temporarily destitute, as described in paragraph 208(a),

      • (ii) a person whose work is designated under subparagraph 205(c)(i),

      • (iii) a person whose work in Canada is for a Canadian religious or charitable organization, without remuneration,

      • (iv) a person whose presence in Canada is as a participant in a program sponsored by the Canadian International Development Agency, or

      • (v) a person whose presence in Canada is as a recipient of a Government of Canada scholarship or fellowship.

  • SOR/2011-222, s. 11

Date modified: