Payments to the Provinces Regulations
Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister for International Trade and the Minister of National Revenue, pursuant to subsection 100(2) of the Softwood Lumber Products Export Charge Act, 2006Footnote a, hereby makes the annexed Payments to the Provinces Regulations.
Return to footnote aS.C. 2006, c. 13
1 The following definitions apply in these Regulations.
Act means the Softwood Lumber Products Export Charge Act, 2006. (Loi)
- non-excluded provinces
non-excluded provinces means Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Alberta. (provinces non exclues)
2 These Regulations apply in respect of the amount of the payments to be made to the provinces by the Minister of National Revenue under section 99 of the Act.
Marginal note:First calculation
3 (1) The first calculation of an amount of a payment is for the period beginning on October 12, 2006 and ending on September 30, 2007.
Marginal note:Later calculations
(2) Later calculations are to be made in respect of calendar quarters.
(3) Except for the final reconciliation, a reconciliation of the amounts used in calculations is to be made annually.
4 The amount of revenue to be attributed to a province is the revenue derived from the charge imposed under section 10 or 15 of the Act on softwood lumber products originating from that province.
5 (1) The amount of the costs referred to in paragraphs 99(1)(a) and (b) of the Act to be attributed to a non-excluded province for a period is determined by the formula
A × (B/C)
- is the costs that the Minister becomes aware of during the period;
- is the volume in board feet of softwood lumber products exported from the non-excluded province to the United States during the period under export permits;
- is the volume in board feet of softwood lumber products exported from all of the non-excluded provinces to the United States during the period under export permits.
(2) In the case of the costs referred to in paragraph 99(1)(b) of the Act, the formula applies unless the Minister determines otherwise under section 99 of the Act.
Marginal note:Coming into force
6 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
- Date modified: